Environmental Policy and Strategy
Mr. Kostas Batos
EXERGIA supports environmental policy and strategy development by governmental organisations, administrations and institutions in developing countries or countries in EU accession process. Such work concentrates on combining the EU experience with the deep understanding of the local conditions in order to build sustainable structures in the field of energy and environment.
In this context, EXERGIA has a rich track record of project references in supporting sectoral policies, i.e. industrial pollution (the implementation of IPPC Directive), climate change, waste management, environmental management, energy management, etc. The geographical focus covers the Mediterranean and the Balkans but stretches also to Central and East Asia.
Specific services include:
- Review of national and regional environmental context
- Transfer of EU experience and know-how
- Identification, assessment and exploitation of local capacity and infrastructure
- Supporting and strengthening existing institutions and administrations
- Building or strengthening existing capacity
- Drafting of Action Plans at regional or national level
- Incorporating environmental considerations in other economic sectors
- Working in partnership with society
EXERGIA also provides specialist services to DG Environment of the European Commission in areas related to conformity assessment of EU legislation or policies in the field of the environment. In the last few years, a number of key EU Directives (i.e. EIA, SEA, IPPC, etc.) have been assessed in this framework, in Greece and Cyprus.